Tuesday, August 24, 2021

E. L. Moore's Cabinet of Curiosities: Comic Book Edition

It struck me that a few 9" x 27" displays could be stacked in a cabinet and the overall view would look a lot like a cartoon. Each 'panel', each shelf, would tell a little bit of the story, and one panel might narratively lead to the next. So, overall, the cabinet is a life-size E. L. Moore story in cartoon form.

Maybe the story would be a variation on The Adventures of E. L. Moore, Train Photographer, where each panel contains a scene where Mr. Moore's icon anchors the viewer's attention and the buildings fulfill supporting roles. Or maybe it's a remix of The Adventures of Baby Spumoni? Stories were a big part of E. L. Moore's mythos, and maybe story-centred dioramas / panels / shelves are the way to bring the models to life. And lighting. I can't forget lighting. 

Galen tells me Weston figures command high prices these days, so if I'm going to go the story route I'll need to be mindful of the costs associated with all those figures. Luckily E. L. Moore's photographer doppelgänger was a custom item he made, so that one I can probably cobble together myself.

4 comments:

  1. This concept makes me smile. I hope it continues to grow and becomes something wonderful, a fitting tribute anchored in storytelling via Moore's models and your imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I need to build at least one display to see if this is going to work.

      Delete
  2. In my N scale version, I took unpainted cheap figures and modified them into several ELM/Weston figures. You could probably modify HO cheapies, too, if you had to.

    I like the shelf look; if you keep them near equal sizes, you could swap them around as you feel like. Certainly the top ones get the most attention at one time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the vertical arrangement likely means the top panel gets seen the most, and the bottom the least. Maybe a different shelf arrangement is in order. Hmmm.

      Delete