Monday, December 31, 2018

The R-100 airship in N scale?

We also paid a visit over the holidays to the Aviation and Space Museum out in the east end. I'm not going to give a trip report on all the interesting airplanes you'll see out there, but I will mention one particular curiosity: their model of the R-100 airship that flew to Canada from England and back again in 1930. In HO scale, the model would measure a whooping 8.3' - a little longer than the entire Alta Vista TC layout! - and in N-scale a more manageable 4.5'. The model seems closer to 4.5' than 8.3', so I'm putting my money on its scale being closer to N than HO. When we got home I hunted around for Nevil Shute's old autobiography called Slide Rule. The book has a few fascinating chapters about his time as chief 'calculator' on the R-100's construction team, and some insight into the disastrous crash of the R-100's sister ship, the R-101, where 48 of the 54 people onboard were killed.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting bit of aviation history, thanks for presenting it. Sounds like the model could be 1/144 scale but the only references I could find of a commercial model of the R-100 was in 1/500 scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect this model might have been custom-made. Some of the models on display made note of their scale, but not this one.

      Delete