Tuesday, September 4, 2018

TD Bank Tower Mockup

I have a love-hate relationship with skyscrapers. On the one hand, they're pure expressions of power, but on the other, for some I have a grudging admiration for that expression. The Toronto-Dominion Centre is in that latter category.

The TD Bank Tower was the first skyscraper in what would be a complex of towers in Toronto's financial district. It was finished in 1967, and was the first skyscraper built in Canada. At the time it was the tallest in the world outside of New York City. 

That tower shook things up and the city would never be the same again. Look at that photo of Toronto's skyline sometime after the TD Bank Tower was built. There're no other towers there. It's presence dates and stodgifies every other building. It's as if that 2001 monolith plopped straight down into Toronto to move civilization forward from its neolithic beginnings. Transit-wise, the TTC was still running its streetcar fleet with those PCCs that were first designed and built in the 1930s. If the TD Bank Tower was where you worked, one could drop you off at your office. Talk about future shock.


There was nothing stopping that shock-wave from spreading to the sleepy Scarborough suburb where I grew-up. I was in primary school then, and we went on a class trip to ride the tower's elevator to the observation deck to cast our prepubescent, philistinic eyes over the city. We were going to see the future and the TD Bank Tower was the time-machine. Prior to the trip the elevator was a topic of much discussion and how strategic gum chewing would prevent ear-popping as the elevator sped to the top. I don't recall the elevator ride, or if gum chewing was effective, or what the view was like - and never will because the observation deck is closed, and a forest of johnny-come-lately towers now surround the monolith and its brethren. But the trip did leave a lasting impression on my tender psyche.


One problem with the Alta Vista TC layout is that its skyline is too even - it's too uniformly low-rise for my liking - and it's too easy to see from one end to another. I'm thinking a skyscraper or high-rise or two might solve this problem. I'm not going to use just any generic tower because the Alta Vista TC isn't just some 'traction' layout where the buildings are afterthoughts - no, that monolithic icon that's stuck in my mind has to make an appearance. 

Easier said than done. In HO, the real McCoy would be well over 8 feet tall - taller than my layout is long ! This is where I had to rummage around in my E. L. Moore inspired bag-of-tricks and pull out the one labelled Selective Compression. Warning to readers, open this one with care :-)
[No tower, looking toward the Neville Park Loop]

Yes, yes, go ahead and laugh, the absurdity of it isn't lost on me, but there is some method to my madness. I want to get the proportions right and later, when a model comes along, the important details. And, this is the really funny part, even though it needs to be small enough to fit on the layout, it still needs to be 'tall'. What I mean is, in relation to the other buildings on the layout it needs to stand-out tallness-wise, but not overly so, so that it doesn't seem wildly out-of-place. In other words, it needs to read as 'tall' in comparison to its neighbours, but doesn't actually need to be 'tall'.

After some fiddling with dimensions and proportions, I settled on a  mockup that measures 24" tall by 8" across by 4" wide. It's made from 3/16" foamboard: black sheets for the tower and white for the lower level. I haven't forgotten my E. L. Moore roots as the support columns at the four corners are balsa strips. 
[With tower, looking toward the Neville Park Loop]

Yes, it blocks the view. And it's 'tall' and towers above everything else like it's supposed to. Mission accomplished. 

More importantly though, when I placed it on the layout the scene seemed to pop. I had a satisfying feeling that things were heading in the right direction. There's a lot more pleasant playing ahead, but it's starting to feel right.

6 comments:

  1. Gonna need some awful tall backdrop now. Otherwise, it looks like you placed a stereo speaker in the middle of the layout. Kinda ominous looking! I'm wondering whether a tall black tower painted on the backdrop wouldn't be another choice? With, hopefully, some reflective window glass? I dunno. At least with the printed skyscraper, it could be rightfully tall, but further away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about the backdrop problem. While I was taking the picture I also realized I had a ceiling problem - it's a bit on the low side. That one's not so easy to fix :-)

      Delete
  2. I like it. But I have to say this - it reminds me of the sort of construction we modelers use to hide a pillar or post.

    The most important thing you said - "it's starting to feel right". Yes. That's what matters most, artistically, for this hobby. What a good feeling!

    Galen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting observation about post hiding I hadn't thought of. The 'layout' is an island design and can be rolled around to different locations in the workshop, or disassembled for moving elsewhere. I need to find a good location where the layout makes sense and doesn't appear to be blocked, or be blocking something else.

      Delete
    2. Jim,

      I know the feeling. Pine Branch Park is slotted into the garage in a space that will work because I was able to leave aisles around it that fit natural traffic patterns in that multi-purpose space. Incorporating storage beneath as the support structure also made better use of the space along with the open area between the shelves for standing storage - rolling luggage, carpet cleaner, etc.

      Galen

      Delete
    3. This is an interesting discussion with everyone here. I need to move the layout around, as well as the buildings on top, to see if I can photograph what I'd like to see, and try and capture the feeling I get from the building placement.

      Delete