Saturday, August 25, 2018

Imperial Six Mockup

Another one on my list of possible buildings for the Alta Vista TC is the old Imperial Six movie theatre. As with the A& A mockup, I was lucky with this one too, and was able to find a fairly good photo of the facade that doesn't have a lot of perspective distortion.
A City of Toronto Archives photo of the Imperial Six in its heyday.

It has a great look and is unlike most other movie houses. More importantly, it says 'Toronto' to me. 
These mockups are just boxes folded up from bristol board with an HO scale image printed from my computer taped to the front. When I look at the Six the people still seem a bit too large - they might be OO in the image - but the building itself doesn't look too bad. I'll have to ponder this one a bit more because I'm still a bit uneasy with the dimensions.

2 comments:

  1. Jim,

    So does this mean that Summer is over? Glad to see you posting again.

    As for the mockups - you really have done it this time. The trend now is to model the ordinary, don't you know. Putting three eye-catching, unique, bold structures next to each other is really bucking the trend! I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. I think it means I found myself at home over the weekend and I had an hour-or-so to fiddle with some ideas I've been thinking about for awhile :-) With those two I was thinking of just building a facade attached to brick-faced box for the other walls - and a modeled roof of course - of the structure as those won't be seen (they weren't on the prototypes). I'm also thinking the back wall will be left off so I can look through the front windows with my camera for some interesting photos and general viewing. Sept is looking busy, so I don't know what progress I'll make.

      Delete