Wednesday, November 21, 2018

ELM Epilogue: Did E. L. Moore get a D- in Structural Engineering?

This refers to E. L. Moore's Car Repair Shed described in the November 1969 RMC (page 34). I was quite intrigued with the model and decided to build one myself. However, I found that Moore's model had rafters spaced 12 feet apart which, in real life, would not be practical as the roof would become "wavy" in a very short time. Hence, my rafters have three foot centers, and the uprights are five feet apart.... From a letter by R. Vergeylen of Quebec and printed in the Safety Valve column of the March 1970 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman. Turns out that back in the '70s I wasn't any better. My engine house would have collapsed under the first snowfall....

2 comments:

  1. Oh, the dangers of freelancing. Still, it had character, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it did! And with the roof panel attached, who care about the truss spacing? The letter writer also mentioned that he intended to the leave off roof paneling to show how the building stood up.

      Delete