Saturday, November 15, 2014

Bryce's Home Made Bread

[Bryce Bakeries LTD, Winnipeg, Man. Photo and caption by William Henry Wood.]
This is the end of William Henry Wood photo series for now. There are more stacks of old family photo albums in the crawlspace. I have no idea what else they might contain, but this is it for the two I've been looking through. 
[Plant of Bryce Bakeries LTD, Wpg, at 320 Burnell St. Wpg. on Sept 15, 1943. Photo and caption by William Henry Wood.]
My uncle may have shot other railway related photos during his relatively brief career at Purity Flour. If I find any, I’ll post them.
[When I typed '320 Burnell St. Winnipeg' into Google Streetviews this is what I got. The modestly elegant Bryce Bakeries building is long gone. Over on the left is a building of the Grey Goose Bus Line, which according to various internet references, is a subsidiary of Greyhound Canada that operates in Manitoba.]
[Office staff of Bryce Bakeries LTD, Winnipeg, Man., on Sept 16, 1943. Photo and caption by William Henry Wood.]
[Mr. W. B. Foster, outside the office of Bryce Bakeries LTD Winnipeg, on Sept 16/43. Photo and caption by William Henry Wood.]
[I couldn't end this series without a photo of the photographer, William Henry Wood. According to various captions, this picture was taken on Mar 5, 1944 (within the time period the various photos I've posted so far were taken) on or near Sawback Mountain in Alberta]
The photos I've posted this year were taken during WWII, and at that time grain production in Canada was a strategic industry in the allied war effort; as Napoleon Bonaparte said, “An army marches on its stomach.” And for a partially disabled man, auditing grain production was a good job.

6 comments:

  1. I almost dropped my coffee cup when I saw he photos of the bakery. I live about 20 metres from that location on St. Paul Avenue. I write a history blog about the West End of Winnipeg, including Bryce's Bakery, but have never found a decent image of the building.

    Here is a bit of background about the place. (Scroll down to the second building, 320 Burnell Street.) http://westenddumplings.blogspot.com/2011/07/west-end-history-burnells-bakeries.html

    Sadly, the building is no more. The other commercial bakery building on Burnell was Canada Bread. It was abandoned in 1999 and torn down in 2018 -19.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad these photos were of interest, and thanks for sending me the link to your great post. It fills in missing information. If you're interested, I could find the higher resolution those blog images were derived from and email them to you.

      Delete
    2. Just saw this on Kijiji and thought you might be interested:

      https://www.kijiji.ca/v-free-stuff/winnipeg/found-in-the-walls-of-an-old-home-on-morley/1580684481?undefined

      Delete
  2. Hello there--

    Fabulous images indeed-- thank you. It's amazing that Burnell was once abuzz with activity. I live about the same distance away from this area, on the corner of Banning and Einarson. I would be interested in good quality copies of these images-- Winnipeg's old West End always captures the imagination! And Christian-- glad to know a fellow history buff is a neighbor of mine. Hats off to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you send me your email address in the form of a comment, I'll note the address, but not publish the comment so your address is not generally available. I'm in the process of scanning a lot of photos of my uncle's and I post low-res versions of one that might be of general interest.

      Delete
  3. Looks like I got there too late. It's gone.

    ReplyDelete